Recipe for Christmas Pudding
This recipe for Christmas Pudding is the same one that has been in use over the past twenty years in the Whitty household. However we now substitute wheat flour for spelt flour. If you are making a Christmas pudding it is easiest to make the Christmas cake on the same day and kill two birds with the one stone. One of the best things about making Christmas puddings and cakes has to be the aroma of grated oranges, lemon and spices. The hardest thing has to be all the grating but its well worth it in the end.
Ingredients for Christmas Pudding
- 75g/3oz. Spelt white flour,
- 175g/6oz.dark brown sugar,
- 175g/6oz. butter,
- 3 eggs,
- 1/2 teasp. cinnamon,
- 1/2 teasp.nutmeg,
- 1 teasp. mixed spice,
- 225g/8oz. raisins,
- 225g/8oz. sultanas,
- 100g/4oz. currants,
- 100g/4oz. halved cherries,
- 100g/4oz. ground almonds,
- Grated rind 1 lemon,
- 175g/6oz. breadcrumbs,
- 1/2 pt. stout or fresh milk,
- 2 dessert spoons brandy/whiskey
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy, add lightly beaten egg and mix .
- Stir in sieved flour,nutmeg and mixed spice.
- Add raisins,sultanas, currants,cherries, ground almonds and grated lemon peel and mix well.
- Add breadcrumbs, stout or milk and brandy/whiskey mix well. You can leave this to stand overnight covered with a damp tea towel to blend flavors.
- Grease a 1 and a 1/2 liter/3 pint pudding bowl.
- Put a circle of greaseproof paper in bottom of bowl.
- Put mixture in bowl and cover top with greaseproof paper secure lid and put into a saucepan with water half way up side of bowl.
- Put lid on saucepan and steam for 5 hours.
- Keep saucepan topped up with boiling water and don’t let it boil dry.
Next day wrap pudding in greaseproof paper and tinfoil. We truly hope that you agree that this is the best Christmas pudding recipe you have tried!